01752 255933

Operating a progressive work force tailored to the live events industry results in having the most up to date training programme, we have been delivering bespoke training at the highest level for many years and are now in a position to offer these courses to others outside the company.

Our purpose built training centre is located in Plymouth, with comfortable classrooms, 5000ft² of rough terrain and hard standing, we are proud to be an accredited training centre for RTITB (Plant Training) SPA (Health & Safety) CIEH (First Aid & Catering) alongside our Consultancy Team.

Please follow the links below for further information.


What is a Safety Passport?
Why do we need such a scheme?
Who is the course aimed at and who should obtain a passport?
How is the scheme promoted?
Who are the trainers?
What is a Safety Passport?

A Safety Passport is like any other Passport; it identifies the holder as having undertaken basic health and safety awareness training and allows the holder access to “passport controlled” workplaces. Many industries insist that all workers hold a Safety Passport before they can gain access to the workplace or even obtain work. Many large service companies in the production industry are now insisting all their employees and contractors (self-employed freelancers) now hold a Safety Passport and venues are also starting to ask for Safety Passports from visiting (touring) crew before they are allowed entry, and this is only the start.

All Safety Passport holders attend a basic 1 day course after which they are provided with course booklets and a robust credit card size plastic ID card (the Passport itself) made using a “holocote” finish to ensure the passport is tamper proof. The Passport contains a photo and personal information of the holder, emblems to indicate what training has been undertaken and various security features including a tailored signature strip, a custom designed foil hologram and a printing process that embeds the dye into the card – rather like the new style driving license.

This scheme has been established by the Production Services Association (our National trade association) and is administrated by the Safety Pass Alliance, the largest administrators of Safety Passport schemes in the UK and who undertake this administration for several different industries. Other industry trade bodies are welcome and encouraged to take part in the scheme, it is open to all and not exclusive.

All Safety Passport holders are registered with the SPA on a central database so verification is an easy process as clients can interrogate this database. Passports are issued by the SPA, normally within fifteen days of completing a course.

Why do we need such a scheme?

The Heath and Safety at Work Act requires employers to ensure adequate training is given to employees and that self employed persons (freelancers) also obtain adequate training even if this means they have to pay for the training themselves. The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations requires employers to train their employees adequately at the recruitment/induction stage, before exposure to any new or increased risk, or when transferring them to work using different equipment or processes, the self-employed must also obtain this kind of training to be able to prove their competence.

Those who use the services of contractors (including self-employed freelancers) have a legal duty to ensure the appoint contracts who “competent” and aware of their health and safety duties and responsibilities, safety passports are of great value and assistance in helping with this process. With a Safety Passport the self-employed contractor (freelancer) can go from job to job and just has to show his or hers a Safety Passport to prove Health and Safety competence, other than a simple site specific induction no additional training is required.

As well as the Health and Safety at Work Act, many of the specific regulations that fall under the Act require employers to provide specific training as a means of controlling safety, again contractors (self employed freelancers) must provide their own training, the specific regulations that specify training include:

  • The Manual Handling Regulations
  • The Control of Noise at Work Regulations
  • The Display Screen Equipment Regulations
  • The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
  • The Health and Safety (First-Aid) Regulations
  • The Personal Protective Equipment Regulations
  • The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations
  • The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations
  • The Work at Height Regulations
  • Training is a means of achieving COMPETENCE as well as a means of increasing SAFETY and PRODUCTIVITY.

Converting information into safe working practices helps to establish a SAFETY CULTURE in the workplace (as opposed to a RISK CULTURE).

Many companies with a high turnover of casual or part time staff, such as crewing or stewarding companies don’t see the value of training because they feel that staff are not with them very long and the costs would be prohibitive. These companies should consider offering training that is of real value as it is very likely that there would be a better retention of staff and that staff turnover would be reduced, the staff remaining would also be safer and of a better quality.

All course fees are Tax deductible and may also be eligible to grant aid. Employers may recover the cost of training from an employee who leaves the business after being given training provided that it is clearly stated in the contract of employment and that a time period is given.

  • Safety Passports are a very simple way for workers (including the self-employed) who move from one contract or company to another to show employers they have received basic training.
  • Safety Passports save time and money because workers need less induction training.
  • They reduce accidents and ill health at work.
  • They can have significant impact in reducing pollution incidents, minimising waste and contributing to a cleaner environment for everyone.
  • Companies know that workers have been trained to a common, recognised and validated standard.
  • They show a companies commitment to having safe and healthy workers.
  • They help promote good practice in the supply chain between contractors and companies.
  • Insurance and liability premiums may be reduced if a company can show that all workers have basic health and safety training.
  • Employers can demonstrate legal compliance in providing health and safety training to employees and the self-employed also demonstrate legal compliance if they undertake such training.
  • Several attempts have been made at introducing formal training and qualifications into our industry with varying degrees of success, including the BTEC scheme run by the Production Services Association.

An important area sadly neglected in training programmes are the local crew, stage hands and those entering the industry, a Safety Passport scheme is ideal for not only them but all who work in our line of work from Steward to Production Manager or Truck Driver and Rigger. It has long been agreed that training holds many benefits but unfortunately in our industry not many people bother to undergo any kind of formal training and therefore do not reap these benefits. No matter how well trained individual staff may be they cannot operate safely unless the whole working environment has a suitable safety management system in place. This is a fantastic opportunity for the industry to take charge of its own destiny; we can regulate ourselves or eventually be regulated by others who have no idea of our methodology or what we do.

Who is the course aimed at and who should obtain a passport?

Everyone! — Employees, self-employed (freelancers) and employers. This particular training course has been designed specifically for Event Technical Production Services: Production, Tour and Stage Managers, Stage Hands, Lighting and Sound Crew, Stage and Set Builders, Backline Technicians, Electricians, Caterers, Safety Stewards, Drivers, Riggers, Laser, Pryo and Firework Technicians, Video and Projection Crew.

How is the scheme promoted?

For the scheme to be as widely accepted as possible we need the help and assistance of everyone to help in the promotion. Freelancers can spread the word verbally, service companies, venues and promoters can help by making the scheme conditional, already some major venues and organisations are supporting the scheme and more are expected to follow very soon. The industry trade press has also made some generator offers of publicity that will be graciously accepted and all relevant trade associations and interested parties are invited to be proactive by publicising and promoting the scheme to make it work, it is not restricted to the PSA and is open to all industry trade organisations.

What is important to remember is that this is a continuous long term project for the benefit of whole industry.

Who are the trainers?

All trainers hold an approved NEBOSH (National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health) or British Safety Council (or equivalent) qualification, have proven experience as a teacher/trainer or instructor of health and safety, have attended the Passport training course covering the sections they wish to train and have proven long term practical industry knowledge and experience.